Saturday, March 10, 2007

serving up the night




Hunched over bistro tables rolling the cigarette about in a dance of deceitful defiance, convincing my cup to remain full of coffee, I reach for another match.

They walk in with a traditionally late strut, nodding their greeting. I didn’t care to move as their usual demeanor of artist’s arrogance didn’t move me. They sat after an emphatic plop of their pens and notes and I was to read every last one.

Somewhere along the night interest waned, passing by the black silken mud infested with a creamy swirl, an insistence of those too timid to venture.

Again another night ends its reign at the coffee house, this time there are people I’ve never seen and Abbas. He smokes his damned clove cigarettes that clog your senses with a musky stench that bullies the finest of sweet fragrances into submission.

I’ve drunk maybe five cups of my usual ghastly drug, before their arrival, my mind wrestles with beans and memories. Then she came to fill their cups. Before I could motion the waitress “I’ve had my fill”, my cup is filled again as I reach for another match in a cyclical habit that is regretfully undying. The clove scent just dissipated by the charm of the aroma she drew along, moving my loss of thought. They noticed her. I noticed her. My reasons were not as obvious. Although my appreciation for beauty is intact, I found her approach uneven for her position. She was in need of something not found at an all-night cafĂ©. I knew her. Not by name but by stance.

Just as my thoughts shifted to her presence she stopped, retracting the pot in a slow manner careful not to scold and looked.
Feeling the stare, I looked up, she knew I had the answers but knew I couldn’t help. And she returned to her uncomfortable routine.

Then I began to read the notes of failed writers and the moves of an unfortunate woman. Sometime before she landed here, her cascading black Bedouin hair brushed her shoulder a time too many and identified her all too often. She couldn’t hack at it with enough haste.

That gave her limits notice and she began her journey. Her approach to our table was a unique variance to her exit. Coming, she was confident, charged, and powerfully live. Leaving she was morbidly tame.

Her walk wore her down as the tally of the night and the weight of those ancient accessories took their toll. That tired smile ventured on in spite of the challenges befallen her. The read was shorter than I anticipated; that stance didn’t have the legs for long stories.

Her one attempt to escape was cut short, a guilt-ridden run-away from home. Delicately worn hands showed me the timeline. It was painful, but just a mild step on the road to come. Her days were ahead as she realizes there was power in the attempt. After her shift she gathers notes on napkins to merge into stories.

She will be the writer she had always hoped to be. As for those who infest their coffee, those days may never come.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some metaphors I found strange like "infest their coffee"--I am not recommending change, but the metaphor alters the image which could alter the impression which could alter the mood. There was a time relapse, "Sometime before she landed here, her cascading black Bedouin hair brushed her shoulder a time too many and identified her all too often"--I don't know your intention--what mood were you aiming for?--but the restaurant atmosphere felt more like pre-twentieth century tavern--but this could be purely relative--But then again clove cigarettes do not fit the normal late night diner cigarettes and coffee story. I guess things seem particularly strange yet fine--especially neoterically so.

transient said...

my existence is all about the time relapse and lapse. if you didn't like "infest their coffee" then don't infest. my intentions are purely an alteration of memory as the layer that bounds.

Scent of the Levant said...

My breath has been taken away.That was a geat story.For some reason I love reading about coffee shops.


I wish you could teach me how to write that way.

transient said...

sweet, you have given life to my ego. I'm glad you liked it. I have a series of shorts set in coffee houses, perhaps I'll post more of them.

I could teach you to write this way, but why would you want to, the images are disconnected and most people get irritated by my reassignment of words. But I would be delighted none-the-less.

Scent of the Levant said...

I gave life to your ego? Thank you

I thought maybe I could write something and maybe you could edit it.And you could give me a few tips and maybe even a few of your writing secrets~~~~

transient said...

I can try, I'll be happy to look at what you have.

usually i just write a story in one sitting and not edit.

Anonymous said...

beautiful story! :) some sentences you wrote kinda hit home to me! :S

transient said...

hey, dareen is back.

ok which lines hit home? kinda? how?
come on give me something more than a one-liner.

Anonymous said...

Coming, she was confident, charged, and powerfully live. Leaving she was morbidly tame.

Her walk wore her down as the tally of the night

That tired smile ventured on in spite of the challenges

Her one attempt to escape

The above made me think of me & ask myself!

Anonymous said...

yeah I'm back...bes mish fully! inshala soon...so busy wallah transient...work, life loose ends...finalizing some stuff...but all coming to an end hopefully soon!

Feeling different every 5 minutes....happiness, sadness, excited, scared...already missing certain pple...ou haik!

:)

transient said...

well, she seems to be like a lot of people, it must be the state being these days.

The dust will soon settle and the new will soon become the ordinary. but judging by your words not too ordinary.

Anonymous said...

inshala things will settle down soon :) Nothing will be ordinary for a long time I think.....but, I guess its exciting!

Scent of the Levant said...

FriendlyCyberexcursions:

thank you, shookran, tashakur, mamnounak, merci, danke, gracias, obrigado, grazie,

You are too kind.

I still haven't gottten the hang of the html stuff.I want to fix my profile but the html is such an eye sore.

transient said...

DD: i bet your life would be so extraordinary, i bet your joy would never end. i see your future like the morning sun, the morning sun that is bright and hopeful. :) :) :)


SSOB: ssob? no that sounds bad. SweetBeirut: still waiting for the links. i thought you said you figured it out?

Anonymous said...

u r sweet transient...thank u. Will let you know how things are going....Will for sure share my new life with people who care to know about it :) May the sun shine in your life always...May God guide u every step of the way to the destination you desire!